work with us!
From time to time, Long Wharf Theatre will announce employment opportunities for experIenced theatre professionals.
Long Wharf Theatre
Position: Graphic Designer
Direct Reports: Graphic Design Intern, Data Visualization Intern
Reports to: Director of Marketing & Communications (DMC)
Classification: Full-Time, Annual
Long Wharf Theatre is on an unprecedented journey where art and activism can live side by side. We are committed to building a boundary-breaking theatre with, for, and by the New Haven Community. We are seeking an experienced Graphic Designer to own the creation and maintenance of both our marketing assets and content created to support the product and other marketing goals
From concept through execution, the Graphic Designer will improve our user experience by bringing our brand to life and keeping it consistent across all our various touchpoints.
The Duties (including, but not limited to):
- Create compelling graphic and visual designs for Long Wharf Theatre’s print, digital, and
- other media channels to attract and retain theatergoers, donors, and partners with a focus on accessibility and reflecting the socially conscious vision of the theatre.
- Co-ideate and create digital media projects.
- Collaborate with marketing and product marketing teammates to support our website design and content marketing (blog, social media assets, and more).
- Help bring new ideas for design and content creation to the team using expertise and eye for great design.
- Scope and create templates for our marketing team to be more efficient in their posting on social media, the blog, email, and other channels.
- Manage other design needs such as presentations, signage, and show collateral as needed.
The Skills & Expertise Needed:
- Proficient in Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, and Canva.
- Hand typography and illustration experience.
- Experience optimizing graphic assets for multiple platforms, such as website, email, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail.
- Good verbal and phone communications skills.
- Prior internship or freelancer experience providing marketing support.
- Commitment to working within an organization committed to advancing anti-racism, gender equity, and radical inclusion.
- Ability to work with the team, as well as individually on projects with minimal supervision.
- Exemplary representative of LWT when dealing with any public facing aspects of the position.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to establish priorities and ability to multi-task.
The Experience Needed:
- BA/BS or 4 years of professional working experience.
- Past experience as either an in-house designer or at a marketing agency. (We require work samples to apply for this position.)
- Experience designing for a content management system (WordPress, Squarespace, HubSpot, etc.). This person must create assets for our web team that are mobile-, tablet-, and desktop-friendly and provide a user experience that fits on all three screens.
- Expert in Adobe Creative Suite or similar technologies.
- Experience working with email marketing platforms and ticketing software required; expertise in MS Word and Excel a must.
- Experience with social media management and/or growth hacking preferred.
- Must exercise good judgment and show initiative.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work independently as well as in a team environment. Proactive and self-directed.
- Discretion, maturity, and composure, especially under pressure.
- High standards and a strong sense of responsibility.
- Audience development experience preferred.
- Interest in/knowledge of live theatre or the performing arts.
The annual starting salary is $50,000 to $55,000 plus benefits (including health, dental, life insurance and PTO).
To apply, please submit resume, cover letter, and link to digital portfolio to email@example.com.