Welcome to the 2019 August Wilson Monologue Competition!
Long Wharf Theatre (LWT), in collaboration with Yale Repertory Theatre, is hosting the New Haven Regional August Wilson Monologue Competition (AWMC). High school participants throughout CT, but primarily in the Greater New Haven Area, will compete to win an all-expense paid trip to the National Competition in NYC where they will perform on a Broadway stage, see a Broadway play, and have the chance to win college scholarships.
“The goal of the competition is to build partnerships with schools and theaters across the United States, and to create educational materials about August Wilson that allow students to connect these important theatre works with educational curricula like history, social studies and literature. This monologue competition offers students of all races the opportunity to inhabit the lives and speak the words of these vital, lively characters.”
– Todd Kreidler, Associate Artistic Director, Kenny Leon’s True Colors Theatre Company
In the 2018 – 2019 School Year:
• Participation is FREE to all
• Open to any CT student, as an individual or through school
• We will (at least) double school participation
• Provide partnering schools with tickets to Paradise Blue through our Ticket and Travel Fund, an information packet on Wilson’s life and plays and the PBS documentary, “The Ground on Which I Stand”
• Add two staged readings of the two American Century Cycle Plays
• Offer free August Wilson Master Classes for high schools students
Two Ways to Get Involved:
• As a school engage in a 6-week residency program with a Long Wharf Teaching Artist (up to 8 schools).
• As an individual participate in AT LEAST one, and ideally all, of the six free August Wilson Master Classes provided.
Students who have participated in the past may sign up for the Closed-Door Audition without participating in the in-school program or Master Classes, although some brush-up coaching sessions are highly recommended through the Master Classes.
Long Wharf Theatre is hosting preliminary auditions for the New Haven Regional August Wilson Monologue Competition on Thursday, February 14 from 3-6PM at Cooperative Arts & Humanities Magnet High School, 177 College St., New Haven CT, 06510. Any student that plans on auditioning must fill out the Audition Information Form by February 7 and bring a completed permission slip with them on the day of the audition. Students without a completed permission slip will not be permitted to audition.
Here are a few key logistics:
• Students will have until February 7, 2019 to fill out the Audition Information form.
• Students must be signed in at Co-op on Thursday, February 14 by 3:00PM, unless otherwise arranged.
• All monologues MUST be memorized.
• Audition slots will be given upon arrival.
• Students will audition in front of a small panel of judges.
• There will be a holding room where students may have a snack, warm-up, review their lines, etc.
• IN CASE OF SNOW: We will host auditions on Friday, February 15 at Co-op High School. If this is poses a conflict for you, please let us know.
PLEASE NOTE: Students who would like to be considered for the Regional Competition must also be available for:
1. New Haven’s Regional Finals on Thursday, February 28 at Yale Repertory Theatre. Rehearsal will be from 4-6PM with show time at 7PM.
2. National Finals Weekend in New York City on Saturday, May 4-Tuesday, May 7. Travel to the competition and opening activities on May 4, Semi-Finals on May 5, Nationals is on the evening of May 6, and travel back home is on May 7. The nationals weekend with be chaperoned by LWT staff. If your child is chosen for the National Competition, more information will be shared with you soon.
QUESTIONS? Emali Madelyn.firstname.lastname@example.org or 203.772.8272.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Please find below dates, times, and spaces for events this year. Please note dates and times are subject to change.
Master Classes (all from 4-6PM)
February 29 – Stetson Library Branch: 200 Dixwell Ave, New Haven, CT 06511
February 5 – Wilson Library Branch: 303 Washington Ave, New Haven, CT 06519
February 12 – Long Wharf Theatre: 222 Sargent Dr, New Haven, CT 06511
Closed Door Auditions
February 14 2-7PM, Co-op High School
February 28 7-9PM, Yale Repertory Theatre
May 4-6 (Semi Finals on May 5, Competition on May 6 at 7PM), August Wilson Theatre, 245 West 52nd Street, NY, NY
For information about your school’s participation or students registering for master classes, please contact Director of Education, Madelyn Newman, at Madelyn.email@example.com or 203.772.8272.
Ruby Melton & Gail McAvay
Roz & Jerry Meyer
Wells Fargo Foundation
Yale Repertory Theatre